…once largest steel foundry in N. America
Columbus Castings (1902)
2211 Parsons Ave. Columbus, OH 43207
Owner: Reich Brothers
Dating back to 1881 as the Murray-Hayden Foundry, Columbus Castings / Buckeye Steel was the largest single site steel foundry in North America. It manufactured steel castings for freight and passenger rail cars, locomotives, mining equipment, and other heavy industrial industries. The company was moved to the current Parsons Avenue location in 1902 when the name was changed to the Buckeye Steel Castings Company. The facility covers an area of over 90 acres, of which 22 are under roof. Buckeye Steel was once led by Samuel Prescott Bush, grandfather of President George H.W. Bush. Columbus Castings halted operations on May 9, 2016 after filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Reich Brothers of White Plains, New York purchased the site at auction in August 2016 and have begun environmental remediation. They have retained CB Richard Ellis to work on the property’s re-development and have not yet disclosed plans.
»Read 7.3.17 Columbus Dispatch story
Neighbors lament loss of South Side foundry jobs as new owner moves to redevelop
A special thank you to Sherman Cahal, AbandonedOnline.net for contributing photos.